Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

"Don't ask, don't tell"

 My car has faithfully served me since February, 2003. Back then, it had 35,000 miles and smelled OK.
Now, it has 246,000 plus miles and a crack that snakes across my line of sight on the windshield. It has had a mysterious hum for a few years. Other than keep me alert while driving, the hum is likely a wheel bearing gone bad. It also has a leak in the valve cover gasket. Because of the oil leak, I have to add oil from time to time. I haven't had the oil changed in about 25,000 miles because when it gets low, I fill it up with good, clean oil. I figure why spend money to change it if its running out and getting replenished on a regular basis anyway?
 The dashboard lights are out. It's hard to see how fast I'm going at night, even with the orange "Check Engine" light continually illuminated.
 If I checked the engine every time that "check engine" like came on, I wouldn't be driving much. I'd be checking the engine. Frankly, I'm on a "don't ask, don't tell" relationship with my car engine. I don't ask what's wrong, and it doesn't tell me.
 Both of us are content in our blissful ignorance. It's a topic I choose to avoid. Granted, I need to get around to fixing the brakes. They started squeaking the other day, and my friend tells me if I wait 'til they rub metal on metal, I'll pay a lot more.
 I like my car. I wouldn't survive well without it. But I just don't take time to maintain it as I should.
 I've noticed alot of people do that with their health. They like not being in the hospital, but they don't want to stop reaching for the fries, or the Coke, or whatever.
 If I sound preachy towards over eaters, I probably am. But I should be preaching about car maintenance because that's my area of weakness.
 I don't have a steady job right now (refer to earlier blogs) so therefore I don't justify spending money on fixing up my car when it runs as is.
 However, I know that delaying the issues isn't the best way to handle things. Like my bills. I delay them and hope they don't cut the phone or electric off.
 Don't ask me, Mr. Bill Collector, if I can pay you this month, and I won't tell...



No comments:

Post a Comment