Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Friar Francis Part 1

NOTE: The following series is based on YouTube phenomenon "Friar Francis," starring the lovable, though misguided, Friar Francis and his admirable sidekick, Monk Manuel. Both are 16th century Franciscan monks from Spain. Don't ask me how they got tangled up in the 21st century. I cannot explain it myself. Oh, one more thing... please read the "Friar Francis" series with an authentic Mexican or Spanish accent.
FRIAR FRANCIS: Hello. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Friar Francis, and this is my loyal amigo, Monk Manuel. Say hello to these nice people, Monk Manuel.
MONK MANUEL: Hello.
FF: Is that all you are going to say to these nice people, Monk Manuel?
MM: You told me to say, "hello" so I say "hello".
FF: Yes, but you can elaborate, no? You can tell these nice people who took all the trouble to tune in to YouTube just to watch you what you are really and truly all about. This is your moment! This is your time! How many 16th century Spanish Franciscan monks have an opportunity to reach millions of potential viewers with the click of a mouse?
MM: I have no idea what you just said.
FF: Me neither.
AWKWARD PAUSE
MM: Is is your turn to do the dishes?
FF: Times like these make me wish we had nuns.
MM: I saw how many clay pots and bowls are dirty now in the kitchen.
FF: Don't you see I am reaching a whole new audience on YouTube? Don't you understand that if we reach this vast audience we can expand the Good News of the Gospel and spread the love of the savior to a lost and hurting world?
MM: It is still your turn to wash the dishes, Friar Francis.
FF: Yes, brother, right you are. You are always right...
MM: Not always, my brother. But most of the time, yes.
FF: You don't have to brag, my brother.
MM: Oh, no, I am not bragging, my dear brother, I am merely agreeing with you.
FF: What do you mean?
MM: You said I am always right, and I am merely agreeing with you... most of the time.
FF: I meant to say you are always right about everything around the monastery. I mean, seriously, don't you have a life?
MM: I am a 16th century Spanish Franciscan monk. Why would you think I have a life?
FF: Good point, my brother. Good point.

3 comments: