Total Pageviews

Friday, October 22, 2010

Girls vs. Boys

I overheard a conversation between two grade school girls today:

Girl #1: "If everybody I invite comes, three girls will have to sleep on the floor."
Girl #2: "Who?"
Girl #1: "I dunno. Not me. I'll be sleeping in a bed. I'm the birthday girl." (chuckles)
Girl #2: "Are you gonna sleep in the big bed?"
Girl #1: "I'll probably sleep in my bed."
Girl #2: "Jenny and Molly better not sleep together; they'd kill each other!"
Girl #1: (agreeing) "Yeah."
Girl #2: "Maybe Jenny and Brianne."
Girl #1: "Yeah."

Contrast that with conflict resolution via two of my sons:

Son #1: "I'm the captain."
Son #2: "No, I'm the captain."
Son #1: "OK, I'm the admiral."
Son #2: "That's my sword." (indicates big stick)
Son #1: "No, that's your sword." (indicates small stick)
Son #2: (picks up big stick anyway and whacks the admiral with it)
Admiral: "Ouch!"
Captain: (giggles evilly)
Admiral: "I'm telling!"
Captain: (raises big stick again)
Admiral: (thinking quickly, picks up small stick and defends against the blow)
Both boys continue the battle, enjoying it tremendously and momentarily forgetting each others' grievances.

No comments:

Post a Comment