Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Any excuse'll do...

 Me: Where are you?
Friend: In town.
Me: Me too. I'm at church. Come on over!
F: Oh, I can't. I don't have any church clothes.
Me: It's OK. It's a casual church. Even the pastor wears jeans.
F:  I can't. I think it's disrespectful.


Me: Disrespectful? Of whom? So you think the pastor is disrespectful?
F: Oh no, I was in the choir at that church for three years.
M: Then come on over!
F: No, it's just how my mom raised me.
Me: Mine too, but she and I learned to adapt to change.
(awkward pause)
Me: But, to each his own.
F: Thanks.
Me: But next time, just say you don't wanna come to church and it'll come across more sincere than some excuse about clothes.

The above conversation reminds me that people should just voice their reasons without trying to sound official; the fact that we make excuses is not the problem; the fact that we often prop up the excuse as the "real" reason is. The truth is, we don't want to do some things, and we aren't ready to adjust our schedules. Fair enough. Be real out there, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment