Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Magic wand

 I was recently cleaning out my closet when I came across a dented, dusty purple box on a high shelf. The box bore a picture of a black top hat, trick cards, a handkerchief, some rigged dice and a glass made for disappearing milk... and a magic wand.
 I smiled as I opened the box, remembering the fun I had "wowing" family and friends with my illusions.
 The old magic wand was in my hand. It looked smaller now, just a simple black plastic tube with white plastic ends. Nothing magic about it at all. And yet, as I waived it once again, I imagined what life would be like if it held real power...
 I imagined myself waiving the magic wand and making the past disappear. I imagined my life being put together properly; my choices altogether different in this new, magical world of realization.
With the benefit of hindsight, I imagined my magic wand swishing over my thoughts, transforming them into proper thinking followed by appropriate actions, attitudes and words.
 My entirely different choices now affected who I am. My shattered and fragmented relationships were healed. My dismal financial state transformed into an empire of financial stability.
 As I reveled in my new found world of healthy choices, I realized with sadness it was only an illusion brought on by a worthless piece of plastic.
 Then I thought about it again.
 There, in my closet, I set down my magic wand and picked up another, more powerful one. I picked up my Bible, shoved into a corner behind my shoes. There it was, it's pages slightly yellowed, its words underscored in places long ago visited.
 It beckoned like an old friend, and I found myself leaving through its pages, recalling the power and wisdom the words brought.
 I realized in my hands was a much more effective magic wand. Not one that would swish away problems in an instant, but one that would cause correct thinking and, if pursued, would immerse me in a world beyond my own understanding. If I truly devoured the words of life contained in the Book, I would certainly establish the necessary ingredients missing in my life that would cause the positive changes.
 Sure, I couldn't wave a magic wand across my past and transform it into something else. But I could use the magic of the Word of God in my hands as a tool for releasing my improper thinking and become "transformed by the renewing of my mind."
 I could allow time to heal me, rather than wallow in the what-ifs and regrets. I could take this magic wand of words and wisdom and apply it now and create a different me for the future.
 My fragmented relationships and broken financial picture could mend much more quickly and effectively under the divine power of the Word of God without me trying to second guess how to do the repairs.
 My magic wand of life hadn't worked any better than a plastic tube. It was time to use the real magic of the Bible to induce a new desire in me; one that would ultimately change my thoughts, behaviors, and responses.
 I am responsible for how I respond to life. I am burdened with the results of my poor choices from the past; but I don't have to continue to bear those burdens alone. And I don't have to create new burdens!
 Naturally, I'll face struggles and setbacks, but I won't have to tackle them on my own understanding.
 I can give my issues to God and learn from the truth in His Word, or I can continue to hide behind fear and doubt and cave in to despair.
 I choose to use the power of God's Word, the Bible, as my new magic wand, and I think I'll wave off the illusions of selfish thinking from now on.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That reminds me of one of my favorite quotes: I am convinced life is 10% what happens to me, and 90% my reaction to it. ~ Charles Swindoll

    I've no idea what you've been kicking yourself in the butt for, but I do know it's so incredibly easy to screw up and live there. One thing I usually tell myself and it always helps me is; "That's something I did, not who I am." So, it's then just a mistake and not a "definition" of who I am. Looks like you're getting there. Keep seeking wisdom in the only place filled with more wisdom than we could ever know and I'm sure you'll get there.

    ReplyDelete