Total Pageviews

Friday, December 31, 2010

Prosthetic arm

 I was a bit nervous after the accident. I felt the pain of the separation, but seeing my arm separated from my body was more of a shock than a pain.
 It didn't look real. There wasn't much blood. I don't remember how it came off. I blocked it out.
 Later, the doctor said it was "completely severed." There was no chance of reattaching my arm. I thought of all the pain, the embarrassment, and the frustration my life would have without one of my arms.
 Sure, I could eventually manage typing with one hand, putting on my clothes, taking a shower, shaving, driving, etc. But one handed won't let me do the simple things, like zip my pants (very well).
 And I'm gonna stink at video games. Wait, I don't play them anyway. No loss there. But there goes my career as a guitarist, or a sharpshooter. Can I hold a rifle properly anymore? Not that I ever really owned a rifle or a guitar, but that's beside the point.

 Oh, and my piano playing will suffer. Wait, it has suffered for years due to neglect anyway.
 Hmmm. What else? What can I do?
 I know, I know, I'll get a prosthetic arm. They make them almost like real arms these days. I wonder if it will be like the $6 million dollar man, Lee Majors. Wait, he had a stronger bionic arm. Maybe I could get one of those. If an I-beam drops from above, like what happened to Lee Majors' character on TV, I could deflect it with little pain or discomfort with my trusty bionic arm. Not sure if I'll be in a position to deflect a falling I-beam anytime soon, but I suppose anything's possible. And I don't have six million bucks to get bionics...
 Just a regular prosthetic arm might look similar to the real thing; but I know it won't be. I can detach it and not feel a thing. It won't be necessary to sustain me. It can be replaced.
 My body will appreciate it for its functionality, but will have no emotional or physical connection to it. It will be like living separately, independently, without a care.
 I wonder if a family can have a separation and survive like this? I wonder if "prosthetic relationsips" are possible? Is a family member discardable? Can he be recycled? Can he be replaced?
 People do it all the time. But now that it's happening to me, I can't imagine this prosthetic relationship being an advantage to the real thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment