Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Date Night

 Saturday night. Between my wife's birthday and Valentine's Day. No job. No money. No worries. I called in the phone book to fancy restaurants and found the most exclusive members only one to be the one to think outside the box. Kelly, the sales director, answered the phone.
 "I want to provide an extraordinary experience for my wife's 40th birthday. She's taking it hard, and frankly, I've been out of steady work since June and have no money at all. But if you're willing to think outside the box and help me, I'd be more than willing do something for you in exchange."
 A pause, as Kelly considered how to reply.
 "Well, this is an unusual request, I must say."
"I'm sure you weren't expecting a call like this," I said. "But I believe in being creative when necessary. I'm a professional writer, and I'd be more than happy to write a review of your club and my dining experience, if you'd like, in exchange for a dinner for two."
 Kelly pondered a moment. "I'd like to help you," she surprised both of us by saying. "I'd like to think of myself as a person who thinks outside the box. If you write an honest  review of your experience, I'd be willing to let you and your wife have a three course dinner for two on Saturday night."


 My heart fluttered. Yes, yes, yes!
 My wounded soul had a chance to woo the one I love, despite her lack of reciprocation.
 Thus armed with a success, I sought more add ons. A free haircut came next, from a friend who works at a hair salon. Then, a bouquet of flowers from a friend who owned a flower shop. She considered what to do, but didn't have an option. Okay, I'll buy the flowers if necessary.
 Next, I thought of a massage from a massage therapist friend.
 The friend hesitated when I presented my request. "I don't make it a practice to do anything free, not even for friends, but I understand your situation," she said. "I'll give your wife a free 30 minute massage, good for any time."
 What a  relief! Being penniless wasn't going to prevent me from doing something for my special someone.
 What next... my sister has a snazzy newer convertible. "I'll clean it up and vacuum it and put gas in it for you in exchange for taking my wife out Saturday night," I offered. Permission granted.
Yes!
 Now, I had the car, the dinner, a haircut and massage. Not too bad for a guy with no money.
 The experience was pleasant, though my wife wasn't willing to concede any potential romantic feelings. "Don't get the wrong idea," she said on the way home. I laughed. This was going to be fun. She doesn't know what to think of my going all out to be with her and to woo her. Let her wonder. I think she's warming up to me...

No comments:

Post a Comment